Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day Five

Today we were again on the road and are now in another part of India (after an eight hour van drive). We don’t have the greatest internet connection here but we wanted to try to get something out for you to read…

Before we got on the road, we held another medical/eyeglass clinic in a Dalit village. Many of the people in this village had never seen a while person before. In fact, some of the people said (after we had helped them) that “The gods have come and restored my sight”. I can’t tell you how uncomfortable that quote makes me feel. I am no god. The other members of our team are no gods. In fact, what we brought here for these people (that restored their sight) is of such insignificance to us that it can be purchased at the dollar store next to nothing.

This episode got me thinking about how spoiled we are in America. So to do a little exploring on the topic I seized some time during the van ride to ask a couple of questions. Specifically, I spoke with two of the team members from here in India and asked them what a middle-class person in India would make per year on average. His reply was that they would make about 6000 rupees. 6000! Oh, and before you start thinking that a rupee is similar to a dollar – it isn’t. Some of our team exchanged some money at the hotel tonight and the exchange rate was 49 rupees for 1 dollar. That means that our India team members live on (about) $150 per month. And these are professional/middle-class folks!

Like I said, we are spoiled. So I am wondering – what would we be willing to give up for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What, from the amazing abundance that God has given us, would we be willing to surrender to God (who owns everything anyway) for the sake of His kingdom? What would life be like if what we have was looked at as assets that God has allowed us to use for the benefit of His kingdom…not our own whims and desire for comfort?

Just something for each of us to ponder…

John
LGLOMD – six simple letters, one profound life.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't experienced hunger due to poverty and it must be stressful to help others who are. I'm thankful for each of you on the team who put yourself out there to help and to see the true needs of our world.
    Your posting comments remind me of the apostles in Acts being confused with Gods as well by the poor in spirit they visited. So amazing that we have our own disciples that we can communicate with and send us almost instant word as to what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello team India! Your blog reminds us that here in America we have so much, and yet we still want for material things we do not need. We are, as you said, very spoiled. Sure makes me stop and think about myself.
    Thank you for taking the time to write. I have no idea what it is like for all of you. I'm hoping in the coming days to hear from RACHEL (my phone buddy), Diane and Gene as well, on their perspective. I hope to hear that you are all in good health? I know that you are all facing some tough situations there, but I hope you are able to keep your spirits up. You are doing a wonderful service to the people there. God Bless all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARGARET--RACHELS MOM
    GREETINGS FROM COLUMBUS, INDIANA USA
    GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE LATEST BLOG,
    I'M SURE IT IS DIFFICULT SEEING AND HEARING THE SAD SITUATIONS OF THE PEOPLE OF INDIA. I ALSO AM SURE THE GOOD LORD IS VERY PLEASED WITH EACH ONE OF YOU FOR GOING THERE AND MINISTERING TO THE PEOPLE . NOT EVERYONE WOULD BE WILLING TO DO IT.
    MY PRAYER IS THAT GOD WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP EACH ONE OF YOU SAFE AND IN GOOD HEALTH ,
    KEEP THOSE BLOGS COMING,
    GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete