Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day Two...


Good evening from India!


As I write this we are on an overnight train to another part of India. It has been a great experience so far to see what God is doing (ad to have a small part in the work) here in India.

This morning I was reading in chapter 6 of Luke’s Gospel. In the section titled “Love Your Enemies” my translation says, “Give to everyone who begs from you…” I have been praying about this verse all day as we have come in contact with many, many beggars. What does Jesus mean by these words? Could He really mean that we are to give to everyone who begs – or that we are to have a spirit of generosity and care for others – or something else entirely? Are we so conditioned by our societal experiences and expectations that we aren’t really willing to give Jesus’ words their full consideration?

These words (and many others from this section of Luke) are challenging enough as we live somewhat secluded and partitioned lives in America. They are even more poignant in a place where poverty, need, persecution, and conflict seem so much more of the norm.

So, for now, I will continue to pray that God would give me an increased vision and passion for people - that He will help me to see things as He does and that He will grant me, in increasing measure, a tender heart that hurts when it sees people in physical, emotional, or spiritual need. I pray the same for you this night.

God’s Peace,
John
LGLOMD – six simple letters, one profound life

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful to be able to hear about your trip each day. I'd love to hear more about the train trip, are there sleeping cars, what are the people like, are the people hanging off the train cars as we see in movies??? It makes me feel like in a small way I'm traveling with you on this journey. Hug lots of kids for me and tell them how much their lives can be changed with Jesus. Post lots of photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and stories with us. It is very moving to hear. I can only imagine what it is like for all of you. I hope you can read the comments we are all posting. And yes, post lots of photos if you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...this is my second attempt at a response as our internet connection timed out during my first attempt...

    Yes, we are reading the comments. It is GREAT to know that people back home are “travelling” with us as we continue to explore India and what God is doing here.
    The overnight train was an interesting experience – and different for each of us. Some slept (only waking periodically to flick cock roaches off), others stayed awake, some got motion sick, others struggled with the “bathroom” conditions, while others didn’t, etc. As I said, it was a different experience for each of us.
    We were in a “sleeping car” which meant that we had seats that converted into short beds that we could lay in (some of us with our feet hanging over, others in a semi-sitting position). There were many vendors selling meals to the Indian citizens who were onboard with us – though we didn’t partake. We also encountered a severe storm as we travelled south that added to the overall experience. After the 11 hours on the train, we arrived in Tanjore at about 5:00 am and quickly shifted to two vans (with our suitcases securely tied up top in the rain) for another two hour drive to Nagapatanam. After the drive of swerving between other cars, buses, people, and livestock at full speed, I don’t think that any of our group will complain about traffic in the US anytime soon.
    Nagapatanam is one that was hit severely by the tsunami from a couple of years ago. Here we will work with a tsunami relief center, spend some time in a dalit village (the lowest class of India’s caste system) and also do some eyeglass/medical clinics over the next few days.
    Thanks again for the comments and for following along with us. We’ll do our best to continue to share what we’re experiencing with you…

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARGARET -RACHEL'S MOM
    I'VE TRIED A COUPLE OF TIMES TO SEND A MESSAGE WITH NO SUCCESS, I HOPE THIS ONE GOES THROUGH.
    I LOVE READING YOUR MESSAGES EACH EVENING.
    SOUNDS AS IF THE TEAM IS STAYING BUSY. I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT TO HEAR ALL THE STORIES YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL WHEN YOU GET HOME.
    MAY GOD CONTINUE TO KEEP HIS HAND ON EACH ONE OF YOU,
    YOU ARE ALL IN MY PRAYERS DAILY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to John to give us more spiritual questions to think about. I have seen beggars in some of the developing countries we have visited on vacation, but I can't imagine what it is like in the actual streets off the beaten track.
    We continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete