Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day Six

We provided our second medical/eyeglass clinic on Saturday morning in one of the poorest villages we’ve seen. Unlike the first clinic, I wasn’t able to provide many glasses due to severe cataracts. We saw 68 people and I think I only provided eyeglasses to 10 people, which was frustrating at first, because it is incredible to witness someone receive improved sight for the first time.

We were able to provide those with cataracts some much needed sunglasses. It was a joy to see their faces when they received this small comfort and quite comical to see the interaction with family and friends regarding how they “looked” in this new and unfamiliar item. The children are all so beautiful and affectionate. The adults and children we’ve seen are the untouched in this society, segregated on public transportation etc… I can’t tell you how good it feels to take their hands, place my arms around them or touch their smiling face when they thank you for being here. It feels so good to be Christ’s hands and feet to these beautiful people!

We left the clinic to begin our 8-hour drive to Vellore (south east of Bangalore). We spent the first 6 hours eating snacks, sleeping, and talking. Many of us were also mesmerized, watching our dodge ball driving bus driver, weave in and out of traffic. To gain a better view and to capture some video for family and friends…I moved to the front seat. It was unbelievable to watch our driver maneuver some of the busiest streets I’m sure I will ever see. It’s like an extreme XBOX racing game. The driver has to miss animals, walkers, bicyclists, and motorcyclists. I think he was trying to give me a fun ride, so he showed off a bit and apparently my traveling buddies saw him laughing and smiling.

Our UEM friends (who remind me of Jesus’ first disciples in their love for Christ’s work, their love for their brothers and their love for showing people to Christ’s front door) found us a restaurant to use the restroom. Picture this…I’m wearing a skirt and I chose my flip flops today. I entered the women’s restroom and immediately step into water all over the floor. If you’ve ever worn flip flops in water you know that they often stick or even slide on water. EVERYTHING in this confined space was WET…wet with what I’m not sure…yuck!! Stepping out of the restroom you find yourself on marble…a nightmare for my water and urine saturated flip flops.

We still had 2 hours of travel to get to the Surabi hotel in Vellore. We ate dinner at 10pm and didn’t lie down to sleep until around 1am. Each day makes me more aware of just how much I have and just how much I DON’T need. God has been challenging me daily and provides me with new opportunities to grow.

Rachel

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the "juicy' details which are so difficult to imagine on my own, but help me be there too. It's great to know that good people there get to enjoy that sunny smile. Spread the Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, Thank you for sharing your detailed stories with us. You got a giggle or two out of me:) I felt like in a small way I was there with you. I could picture it all. I'm sure you are a ray of sunshine to all the people you are meeting. Love ya sista :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so great to read the comment from Rachel today. I admire you all so much for the great things you all are doing. I can't even imagine all the things you are seeing and how great it must feel to be able to help them so much. I know they will hate to see you leave but i sure can't wait until you are home on Friday,I guess that is selfish on my part. They have recieved such a great gift from you all and will never be forgotten.. All my Love to you Rachel,and all.
    God Bless you all and I continue to follow your daily schedule and pray daily for you all to come home safe, and have safe days and nights always..Love you Rachel's sister Lori..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!!

    I am Vicki's sister, Pam....reading your day's journey I can only imagine how rewarding it was to be able to bring such hope and joy to these dear people...to see the looks on their faces truly touches ones heart ....what a wonderful gift all of you are bringing to them. And yes, as you say, it shows us how much we do have that we take for granted.
    My prayers for each of you to have a safe trip home.
    Pam&Tab Appel

    ReplyDelete
  5. margaret---rachel's mom
    greetings from columbus, indiana usa
    it was a beautiful sunny fall dad here today.
    i was so happy to read your experiences. it seems like you've been gone a month, and you've only been gone a week. the people you have been seeing sound like they are very appreciative. i imagine that is a real blessing seeing them so grateful. i am so proud of you for wanting to go there. i will admit i'll be so happy to see you when you get home.
    i'm still praying day and night for God to continue to keep his hand on the entire team until you are all safely home.
    i look forward to hearing all about it when you get home.
    i enjoyed reading diane's thoughts also.
    god bless you all on the next leg of your journey. love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel-To read your thoughts and your blogs is just amazing to me because I can feel and see your work and the other's work through Christ to these people in need. You are going above and beyond doing God's work...more in one trip then most of us will do in a lifetime and you will truly be rewarded. God bless you and your team for safe travel and health.--Stacey

    ReplyDelete