Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day Eight

While the original plan was to spread the blog writing around among the team members, and we had a plan so that you could hear from each of us at least once…we have run into a little snag this evening. You see – I am alone in India tonight!
Before you become concerned let me tell you the condensed version of the story. In short, we have spent a LOT of time on planes, trains, and in vans heading all over the southern part of India. Bumpy roads, crazy driving, and hours of being crammed together began to take a toll on my back a few days ago. Then, today, we played volleyball with a group of church planters and the Indian staff that we have been working closely with. The volleyball (which I honestly struggled to understand the significance of on a mission trip) was summed up like this by one of our Indian brothers, “Normally, the church planters just sit still and quiet and are afraid to interact with us. Today they have been released from prison.” What he was referring to was the amazing atmosphere of hope, love, positivity (and some trash talking), and enthusiasm. I guess I didn’t understand the value of simple fun to those that lead such serious lives in the midst of intense persecution.
Anyway, in the midst of the game I pulled a muscle in my back (that was already feeling the strain from so much travel ) and was sent back to Bangalore a day early to wait on the team. Thus I am alone in India tonight as our team rests about 6+ hours away.
What is incredible, however, is what I reflected on in the car as we drove here. I was put in a car with six people that I didn’t know one week ago. And you know what, it wasn’t uncomfortable at all! As we drove I reflected on what it means to really be brothers and sisters in Christ. It doesn’t matter that we are from different cultures, of that we have different skin color, or that they drive like maniacs on the “wrong” side of the road. What matters is that we share Christ and that we care for one another in His name. I have NEVER felt so cared for by a group of people that I barely know. And yet, the ride was great. We talked about our families, sang some worship songs (both in English and in their language – with them telling me what I was singing), prayed, and encouraged each other. It was a great car ride (even while experiencing some back pain).
And then, as though that weren’t enough, while grabbing a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant here in Bangalore, the entire Chinese wait staff cane up and asked if I was a Christian. They said that they had seen me pray before my meal and wanted to introduce themselves as they too were Christians. They said they were “blessed and honored to meet another Christian brother.”
So let me ask you the question that has bounced around in my head this entire trip (in fact, it was part of what I preached about on Sunday to a group of Indian Christians who met on an open rooftop): What does it mean for us to be “family” with one another in Jesus’ name? How would reflecting on that question change the way that we interact, respond to, and treat one another?
If you get a chance, read Matthew 12:46+ and think about what Jesus is saying about our being family in His name…
(Oh yeah, I am fine…God is doing just fine with taking care of things).
John
LGLOMD – six simple letters, one profound life.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your back, John. I will pray for healing. Hope the rest of you are doing fine. All is well here in the office. Actually, Kathy P received a call from Johnny Carinos today and asked if we'd like lunch. So we were treated to a delicious lunch of chicken piccata, angel hair pasta w/artichokes, salad and bread. Good food, good fellowship! We miss your smiling faces around here. Can't wait to see your pictures and hear more about your trip. God's blessings to you all. Love ya! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your back. It sounds like you are surrounded by some very caring people. Even though your journey took a detour, you did get the opportunity to spend some time with a very special group of people on your drive back. Sounds amazing! I hope the rest of your team is doing well. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Rest, rest, rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARGARET---RACHEL'S MOM
    GREETINGS FROM BACK HOME IN COLUMBUS, INDIANA (USA)
    IT WAS ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL FALL DAY HERE TODAY,
    JOHN, THAT'S TOO BAD ABOUT YOUR BACK, BUT IT SEEMS NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS GOD HAS A PLAN. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE MET THOSE PEOPLE ON THE WAY BACK HAD YOU NOT BEEN RETURNING EARLY. AND THE CHINESE STAFF OF CHRISTIANS YOU MET AT THE HOTEL RESTAURANT SOUNDED LIKE SUCH A BLESSING. THERE'S A REASON FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS. PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, I KNOW GOD HAS HIS HAND ON YOU AND THE REST OF THE TEAM.
    I'VE ENJOYED SEEING THE PHOTO'S ON THE BLOGS. I'M HOPING RACHEL HAS SOME INTERESTING PHOTO'S TO SHOW US WHEN SHE GETS HOME. PLEASE GIVE RACHEL MY LOVE,
    PRAYING FOR THE ENTIRE TEAM EVERY DAY FOR GOOD HEALTH AND SAFETY,
    IN CHRISTIAN LOVE,
    MARGARET

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your back John. Things do happen for a reason.... God had another special purpose for you. Hope you are feeling better after some much needed rest. Hope this also finds the rest of "Team India" doing well. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to your return home. Blessings and love to all!

    ReplyDelete